There are various factors that you need to consider when migrating enterprise applications to a beneficial cloud environment. Let’s here discuss some of them that you can follow while undertaking cloud migration of an application.
- Licensing: You need to know that, is the application licensed per core, per VM, or for complete infrastructure footprint? This can probably have huge cost implications. In case the licensing model needs that all existing resources are taken into consideration even if not provided to the client, the cost of licensing will raise if migrated to a platform of public-cloud. Similarly, if the licensing is based per core & the cloud service provider does not provide the aptitude to configure the cloud environment per core, then this will have an undesirable impact on your cost of licensing.
- Application architecture: Organisations ought to review every application design not just for a compatibility view, but also to support the improvement of the cloud platform. Monolithic systems build it tough to scale with efficiency as well as respond quickly, thereby removing the cloud’s gracefulness benefits. Reviewing the appliance design ensures that migration of those applications to a cloud environment is that the right call.
- IT service management (ITSM): Maintenance & change window procedures, a general review of ITSM and service desk alignment processes make sure that while more constituents of the environment are outsourced, processes and policies aligned to the needs of the organisation. Pointing out when things go wrong is a result of unclear expectations.
- Security: Apart from the networking, organisations got to rigorously cross-check the implementation of security policies to make sure that the specified level of security is sufficiently met. Bound concessions are also needed to relax policies, or cede responsibility for explicit areas to the cloud service supplier. Or else, workarounds will incorporate integration of virtual or physical appliances that complement the cloud design as well as meet compliance demands.
- Integration: Organisations generally determine application dependencies very late in the procedure of migrating workloads, causing unplanned outages as well as limited functionality to the systems when such dependencies are addressed. Knowing the relationships between applications is severe to planning the sequence and the way in which cloud migrations take place.
Some of the mistakes that you should avoid during the migration are here:
Mistake 1: Not considering the operations:
When you are done with the work of cloud migration, somebody has to be there to maintain that application on cloud.
Mistake 2: Migrating the wrong applications for the inaccurate reasons to the cloud:
Enterprises carry on picking applications that are not right for the cloud. These applications are generally tightly coupled to the database & have other concerns that are not fixed easily.
As a result, once they are moved, they don’t work like what you expected and need severe surgery to work properly. This is a bad way to begin your cloud migration.
In conclusion, while doing cloud migration, you are needed to follow above-mentioned considerations in order to get succeeded in the task. Samarpan Infotech is a leading cloud computing solutions provider company who make use of latest trends for the better development. You must be updated with the latest trends and happenings for the betterment of your business.